Interview With Kristy.

I have had the pleasure to interview the lovely Kristy Van Eck. Kristy is an amazing photographer.

How long have you been in the photography industry?

I've been taking photos for as long as I can remember. But I've been taking photos and asking for money since the beginning of this year.

What camera do you use?

I've been blessed with an amazing sister who is willing to lend me either her Canon 5D Mark II or III. But as of last week, I have a Mark III of my very own!

Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

It's hard to pinpoint because there are so many incredible photographers  out there! But I really admire the work of Michelle DuPont, Tim Coulson and Louise Buma (from Sunny + Scout).
Michelle has a way of making me catch my breath with all of her photos (have a look for yourself and you'll see what I mean!). Tim is a pure legend who makes me want to use a film camera and travel the world! Louise, not only is my big sister, but I've worked with her and seen her in action - she has a way with clients, a way with natural light, and a way with even the simplest of things; making them all beyond beautiful.


 
What do you use to edit your photos?

I use Lightroom 4. I definitely believe you can over edit images, and the last thing I want is for people to look not like themselves and LOOK edited.  Lightroom is great to help inhabited what you've already captured and just bring it up a level (or two!).

Do you prefer film or digital?
Right now I'm a digital gal. It's fast and convenient, and the quality of DSLRs is constantly improving so I don't feel like I'm missing definition. I haven't used film since I was little, with those yellow Kodak disposable cameras. I would love to try it again, who knows - maybe I'll fall in love with it!

What is your favourite lens and why?

I've used a lot of lenses in my time, but there's one that I've had the longest and used the most and still never fails to deliver good quality images - the Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens. Even though the focus system isn't great, and it looks pitiful next to its big brother the 50mm 1.2; for the bargain that it is it still manages to blow me away!

What is your advice for teens who want to be a photographer?

Keep an open mind. It takes a lot of talent and familiarity with the public to be able to live solely on a photographers income. I work two other jobs and honestly don't know if I'll ever not need to work elsewhere. Start small and find your niche; take pictures of friends, family, pets, animals, flowers, whatever you find intriguing! Don't be afraid to get flat on your back for the best shot, get square eyes from sitting for hours in front of the computer, and most of all don't be afraid to admit you don't know something and ask for help or advice. I'm still learning and I doubt I'll ever run out of questions.


What is your favourite time to shoot?

I'm a morning person. I love to get up before the sun and, weather permitting, go for a walk and just capture things as the sun rises - it's when creatures are scurrying, birds are singing, and you'll never get fog and light like that at any other time of the day!

Thank you so much for letting me interview you, Kristy. I love your work.

Check out Kristy's amazing work http://www.kristyvaneck.com/

Give Kristy a follow on Instagram  @kissyvaneck and a like on Facebook.







Blogging tips